Sunday, July 3, 2011

Recipe blog

This is one of my favorite recipe blogs.
http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/
Because I am vegan and gluten-free, this blog is great for me.
These recipes are the ones I have tried:

Twice-Baked Potato Stuffed with Broccoli
This one I have made more than once. It can take a little while to prepare and bake these, but they are great for almost anyone's taste. You can adjust the recipe to add more garlic or red pepper or less of either, depending on how spicy you like your food. I prefer them exactly as the recipe says but change them a little if you feel like it. I just wouldn't add too much of anything spicy. Also the recipe is for one person so I always have to double or triple it.


Dosas
This recipe is another one I tried, but I only made it once (not because it was bad, but because I haven't had the ingredients for it in awhile). I recommend using coconut or extra virgin olive oil, not grapeseed oil.

When I made the Dosas I made them with this Dal recipe below, which was good, although if you have a different Dal you want to try, then go ahead. I used red lentils in the Dal but I don't think it matters. I didn't use the green chili or the cilantro but it's your decision. Spinach Dal

This recipe is one of the best I've ever eaten and is great even if you're not used to vegan and gluten-free food. Vegetable Fritters
Be careful with the cayenne, I used a little bit less than it called for, but again it's up to you.
Also I use olive oil when it calls for other oil or you can use coconut oil.
Happy cooking and let me know how you like them.
Comments welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Is grapeseed oil not a good oil to use for a particular reason? I have a few recipes I like that call for it in place of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I have read grapeseed oil is better used in things that are raw, like salad dressing or oil mixes with rosemary and other spices. It's not as good for you when cooked and should never be used for high temperature cooking. Using coconut oil or olive oil is better when cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard the same thing about olive oil, hmm. I only use the grapeseed oil for baking though. I suppose I could certainly melt coconut oil in it's place but I'm going through so much and it is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I have just read grapeseed oil is an oil that some people think is a replacement for olive oil but really olive oil is better for you and less expensive. It's better to use the following two oils when cooking at high heat: unrefined red palm oil or coconut oil. I know how expensive coconut oil is but, a good substitute when you can't get coconut is unrefined red palm oil especially west African red palm oil. I wouldn't get white palm though(coconut is still better for you). Another good one is avocado oil but I'm not big on avocado (it's better to use on raw things though can be used for cooked things). If you want more info try this site
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

    ReplyDelete