Sunday, June 5, 2011

Foreign Speedskating

I have been ice speed skating for nearly five years. Until this year, I skated in the United States. In February,  I started skating with a French team in Paris. I don't speak French well at all yet, so it is a very interesting experience training with a French team. Even though some people speak English here, including my coach, I have been learning French just by being surrounded by it the whole time.

This year, I have advanced at speed skating quickly because I am consistently skating three times a week, which is more often then before and because I am skating with so many competitive skaters. It's been incredibly easy even though I'm in another country where I don't really speak the language.

I have gone to five competitions, three while I lived in the U.S., one in France and one in Holland. It was a lot of fun to compete with skaters from all over Europe. I never get nervous before a competition because I get focused on getting better all the time, but when I'm competing I get inspired by my passion for winning.

Now we are only training off-ice and I'll start roller skating for the Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment